As designers working in the public realm and engaging with the public on a broad range of topics, we recognize the tremendous responsibility we have to continually deepen our awareness of the harmful and violent impacts that colonialism and systemic racism continue to have on QTBIPOC, disability and marginalized communities.
As an organization, we are committed to life long transformational work at the personal, organizational and systemic levels to de-centre whiteness; to decolonize our practices; and to actively support the collective healing and repair that is so urgently needed throughout our social fabric, particularly to those communities who have had to, and continue to, endure oppression and systemic racism.
We are committed to doing work that centers diverse voices and lived experiences, on supporting and building relationships with Black and Indigenous artists and designers, and on ensuring the work we do is done intentionally with an equity and anti-racist lens.
We acknowledge that the majority of our work takes place on the unceded ancestral territories belonging to the Musqueam, Skxwú7mesh-ulh Úxwumixw (Squamish) and Tsleil-Waututh peoples.
Actions we are taking
Members of VDN are contributing funds to the following organizations:
BIPOC Women we are learning from (and paying):
- Ta7talíya Michelle Nahanee / Decolonize First
- M̓i tel’nexw Leadership Transformation
- Rachel Rickets / Spiritual Activism
- Cicely Blaine Consulting / Stratagem Conference
Resources we are sharing, discussing and integrating into our practices.
- Hill, Molitor, Ortiz / equity x design framework
- Design Justice Network
- BlackSpace Manifesto
- Creating the Future w. adrienne maree brown, Deem Journal
- Jay Pitter’ / A Call to Courage
- Arundhati Roy / The Pandemic is the Portal
- Eve Tuck, K. Wayne Yang / Decolonization is not a Metaphor
- Rezmaa Menakem / On Being: Notice the Rage, Notice the Silence
Books we are reading
- Braiding Sweetgrass, Robin Wall-Kimmerer
- Emergent Strategy, amb
- Design Justice, Sasha Costanza-Chock
- Slow Reader, Carolyn Straus
- Climate Draw Down, Paul Hawken
- Parable of the Sower, Octavia E. Butler
- My Seditious Heart, Arundhati Roy
- Mismatch, Holmes
- Happy City, Charles Montgomery
- Design When Everyone is a Designer, Ezio Manzini